The days where you can only get crispy fries from a deep fryer are long gone! I am going to show you two ways to make crispy french fries at home, only using 3 ingredients!
- 10 small potatoes*
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp pink salt
- Wash & then thinly slice the potatoes so that they are all relatively similar in size.
- Place the sliced potatoes in a large bowl covered with cold water & 1-2 tbsp of salt for at least an hour & up to overnight.
- Drain the fries & let dry completely. I laid them on paper towel & also used this to pat them dry & rest for 30 minutes.
- Once dry add the prepped fries to a clean & dry bowl. Add the avocado oil & pink salt, tossing well.
- See below for the two separate baking methods following the prep.
Air Fryer Method:
- Set your air fryer to 400 degrees F (this was the ‘chip’ setting on mine).
- I cooked them in two small batches to evenly cook them & make them even crispier.
- I cooked mine for 20-25 minutes tossing at 10 minutes, 15, 17 & 20 minutes.
- Once they are thoroughly cooked, & crispy on the outside they are done & ready to be served immediately!
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the fries on a parchment paper lined baking tray, evenly so they are well spread out & separated.
- I baked mine for 35-40 minutes, flipping them halfway through.
- They are done when they are nice & crispy on the outside. Keep an eye on them as baking times may vary depending on the oven.
*I recommend halving this recipe if you are only serving a couple people as these fries are best served right away. If you don’t plan on eating them all at once you can store them in the fridge & then bake at 400 F to warm up but they are always best if they can be consumed following initial baking!
* Regardless of what baking method you choose, keep an eye on your fries while baking or air frying as baking times can vary & you do not want to burn or under-cook your fries.
Keywords: french fries, homemade, crispy, healthy, avocado, whole 30, paleo, grain free, gluten free, healthy