This easy paleo pumpkin chili is packed full of flavour & also incredibly versatile. It is Whole-30 approved, low-carb & has some added fibre from the pumpkin purée hidden in this recipe! This whole meal is ready in under 30 minutes & makes for perfect leftovers too!
- 1 lb ground beef (or ground turkey, chicken etc. You can also sub this out for chickpea or black beans for a vegetarian option)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or extra-virgin olive oil)
- 2 bell peppers, diced (I used orange & red)
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1–28 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 2 cups chicken broth (use vegetable broth for a vegetarian option)
- 3 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp pink salt (more to taste if desired)
- Black pepper to taste (I used about 1 tsp)
- 1/4–1/2 tsp cayenne (optional)
- 2–3 tbsp maple syrup or coconut sugar (optional, for a little sweetness)
- In a large saucepan over medium heat add the ground beef (or meat of choice) & cook through. Drain & set aside.
- In the same saucepan over medium heat add the oil, bell peppers, red onion, & garlic. Saute until fragrant & the onion is slightly translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin puree, broth, spices & sweetener if using.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the prepared beef & allow the chili to cook on low for about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, let cool slightly & serve.
- You can add any desired toppings such as parsley, cilantro, sliced jalapeños, avocado or any toppings of choice, & enjoy!
*I haven’t tried cooking this in an instant pot or crock pot however, I left a few suggestions above in the write up, but if you try it using one of these methods, please leave a comment about what you did & how you got along so others can learn from your experience if they are interested.
Keywords: chili, pumpkin