These gluten-free cinnamon rolls are soft, rich in flavour, quick & pretty easy to assemble. They have a perfectly tender texture & can also be made dairy-free & lower in sugar!
Gluten-Free Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 cup milk of choice milk, warmed for 30-60 seconds in the microwave (I use unsweetened cashew milk) + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (this creates a dairy-free buttermilk)
- 1 package of active yeast (1/4 oz package which is 2 + 1/4 tsp)
- 1/2 cup regular sugar (or coconut sugar or classic Lakanto)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter or coconut oil, melted (or avocado oil)
- 1/4 tsp pink salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 + 1/4 cups gluten-free flour (this (which you can also get here) is my go-to for gluten-free baking & the one I used in this recipe), you can also try using regular flour if not gluten-free but I haven’t tried this
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 2/3 cup brown sugar (or coconut sugar or golden Lakanto)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or butter, melted
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup milk of choice (I used unsweetened cashew)
- 1 + 1/2 cups powdered sugar of choice (or powdered Lakanto)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Icing
Gluten-Free Cinnamon Rolls
- In a large mixing bowl (I use the one for my stand mixer) add the apple cider vinegar to the warmed milk.
- Sprinkle the yeast over the milk mixture & let sit for 5 minutes. Add the sugar & let sit for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, baking powder, butter or oil of choice, pink salt, & vanilla extract to the mixing bowl with the yeast.
- I like to attach the dough handle to my stand mixer & slowly begin to add 1/2 cup flour at a time to the wet ingredients until a dough forms.* Adding both the baking flour & tapioca flour.
- Once a thick, slightly sticky dough forms, set the dough in a warm area covered for about 45-60 minutes to rise.
- On a floured (I used a bit of tapioca flour on the surface & my fingers) surface flatten out the dough into a rectangle that is about 1.5-2 cm thick.**
- Mix the ingredients for the filling together & evenly spread over the dough, making sure to cover all areas.
- Carefully roll the dough into a ‘log’ shape. I like to use the parchment paper to help me do this by lifting up one end & pulling the parchment paper while I roll the dough.
- To cut the ‘log’ into individual cinnamon rolls I take an unflavoured piece of floss & use it to cut the dough like I would a knife. This prevents the dough from collapsing & gives an even cut all the way through.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a well greased or parchment paper lined baking dish (I used a large one to fit all my cinnamon rolls) carefully lift each cinnamon roll into the baking dish.
- Bake the cinnamon rolls for 18-20 minutes, until the tops are slightly golden. Watch them carefully & try not to over-bake them as this can make them dry.
- Remove & let cool slightly while you make the glaze or cream cheese icing for the top of the cinnamon rolls.
- Add all the ingredients together in medium sized bowl.
- Using a hand mixer beat until all the ingredients are well combined & the glaze is smooth & creamy.
- Cover the warm cinnamon rolls in the glaze & enjoy!
- Store in an air-sealed container & serve warm as desired.
*You can also use a hand mixer or a strong spoon to mix on your own but I highly recommend a stand mixer if you have access to one to get the dough to form. You may need to use your hands (with a bit of flour on them) to get the dough to form properly without the use of a stand mixer.
**Note: I like to flour my hands & sprinkle a little over the top of the dough while flattening it out if it is too sticky.
Keywords: cinnamon rolls, gluten free, dairy free