This gluten-free funfetti cake is also 100% grain-free & has dairy-free & keto options. It is rich, flavourful & has an incredible texture. Whether or not it’s your birthday this is a great treat to whip up any day!
Gluten-free funfetti cake
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, softened
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or regular sugar (for a low-carb option I recommend Lakanto classic)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 + 1/2 tsp baking soda + 1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup milk of choice (I used unsweetened cashew)
- 1/3 cup sprinkles, plus more for the top (I recommend these ones for a low-carb option)
- 2 cups superfine almond flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 tsp pink salt
- White chocolate chips, optional (for decorating the cake)
Gluten-free funfetti cake
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- I used two 8-inch circular cake pans & drew along a piece of parchment paper to get the size of the bottom of the pan. I then cut this out & placed it on the bottom & greased the sides of the cake pan with ghee (you could use butter or coconut oil, etc. as well). I did the same thing with the second pan.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, beat together the softened coconut oil & sweetener of choice, until smooth.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, one by one, continuing to mix until smooth, adding the sprinkles in last.
- Spread your mixture into your prepared baking pans & bake for about 15-18 minutes until a fork comes out relatively clean. Be careful not to over-bake as this can result in a dryer cake.
- Let cool completely.
- Using a knife, move along the sides of the cake & then carefully flip your cake out into your other hand & set on a rack. Wait until the cake is fully cooled to do this as it will prevent it from breaking.
- Once fully cooled you can begin to ice your cake, starting with the middle layer & then continuing on the top & along the outside.
- Note: you can chill your cake for a few minutes in the fridge or freezer before icing to make it easier, however I didn’t do this step & found I had no issues.
- Top with some sprinkles & any other toppings you would like. I added in some white chocolate chips along the outside. Enjoy!
- In a large mixing bowl add the softened butter with the milk, vanilla extract & about 1/2-1 cup of your powdered sweetener of choice.
- Beat for a minute or two until smooth & creamy.
- Add the rest of your powdered sweetener of choice, continuing to beat until smooth, adding 1/2 cup at a time, continuing to beat until your desired consistency is achieved.
*The makes a large batch of icing, intended to cover each layer of the cake & the outside as well as the top, generously. If you do not want to cover every inch of this cake with icing or plan to do a thinner layer you can likely half the icing recipe & have enough to do this.
**Note: coconut sugar will make the icing slightly more brown in colour. To make powdered coconut sugar, simply blend coconut sugar in a blender until a powder has formed.
- Category: dessert
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: cake
Keywords: funfetti, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, paleo, keto