These healthier Oh Henry bars are full of that perfect salty & sweet combo you love in an Oh Henry bar but with better for you ingredients. This recipe is refined sugar-free, gluten, grain & dairy-free & can also be made vegan with a few tweaks!
- 1/2 cup all-natural peanut butter
- 1/4 tsp pink salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (or honey)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (or melted coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup collagen peptides (for a vegan option you can use almond flour, coconut flour or your preferred vegan protein of choice*. Start with adding 1 tbsp almond, coconut or vegan protein at a time & continuing to add until the mixture becomes thicker, but not dry & is able to be rolled into a bar.)
- 1/2–3/4 cup dry roasted peanuts (salted or unsalted will work, if using unsalted you may want to add another pinch of pink salt to the nougat layer)
- In a large bowl add the peanut butter, vanilla, pink salt, avocado or coconut oil, & maple syrup or honey.
- Mix together well & then add the collagen (or almond flour, coconut flour or vegan protein of choice 1 tbsp at a time) until smooth & creamy.
- Take a little piece of the dough at a time & roll into the size of bar you want to make.
- Add the dry roasted peanuts into the dough & all around it, pushing them in slightly to prevent them from falling out.
- Continue until all the dough is finished, placing each bar on a plate lined with parchment paper & placing them into the freezer until they are very firm (at least 30 minutes).
- Melt the chocolate & oil over low heat on a stovetop or in the microwave in 15 second intervals, mixing well each time, careful not to burn the chocolate.
- Dip the chilled bars into the chocolate, coating them well & placing them back onto the parchment paper lined plate. If you don’t want much chocolate on them you can also drizzle the chocolate over the bars.
- Continue until they are all coated & place them back in the freezer for at least 15 minutes or until the chocolate has hardened.
- Store the bars in the fridge or freezer. Note that if you store them in the freezer I suggest taking them out 5-10 minutes before you want to enjoy them so they can warm up.
*I like using collagen peptides because they dissolve well & are flavourless.
- Category: dessert
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: treat
Keywords: oh henry, chocolate, healthy treat