I’ll be honest, these salmon fish sticks bring back some major childhood memories for me. How? Well, fish sticks were one of the 2 things my dad could cook (I love you dad but we all know mom is cook in the fam). What was the other thing he could cook you may be wondering? The fancy, challenging meal of…. Kraft Dinner! I am happy to say my dad doesn’t eat (or make) those kind of foods anymore & he was doing the best he could. But he definitely gave me a love for fish sticks (& tartar sauce) at a young age.
My healthier twist to the fish stick
I used salmon for these fish sticks because it packed with anti-inflammatory omega-3’s, packing a great nutritional punch! I kept these Whole-30 approved & grain-free by using the same coating I used for my grain-free chicken tenders. I made these with flax rather than psyllium husk powder, but both will work great, depending on what you have on hand! I have been making these salmon fish sticks for over a year & finally getting an official recipe on the blog for you guys! I hope you love them as much as I do!
A great fish stick companion
French fries! I just posted my method for achieving the crispiest homemade french fries. Two different ways: airy fryer or oven (both equally crispy). I plan to try that method with sweet potato fries next, because sweet potato fries are just the best.
I made these egg free as I didn’t find I needed egg to get the mixture to stick. If you are having trouble for some reason just coat the prepared uncoated fish sticks in a bit of avocado oil & then coat in the mixture. This should fix that issue right away.
Two ways to prep the fish sticks
Like I mentioned in my french fry post, you can make these in an air fryer OR an oven. Both are absolutely delicious but I did find they definitely got more crispy in the air fryer. You can try troubleshooting this issue in your oven by popping the fish sticks on broil for the last couple minutes to really give them a nice crisp before taking them out of the oven.Print
These paleo, Whole-30 approved, dairy-free, egg-free, baked salmon fish sticks need to be added to your dinner table! I love prepping them on the weekend to have for the busy week days. They are excellent with a homemade tartar sauce too!
- 1 cup Almond flour
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Pink or Celtic Sea Salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 large salmon fillet or 4–5 small ones
- 1–2 tbsp avocado oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper & set aside.
- Mix the almond flour, spices, ground flaxseed, pink salt & pepper together in a shallow dish & set aside.
- Cut the salmon into strips & carefully remove the skin if it is still on.
- Coat the salmon in 1-2 tbsp of avocado oil to get the mixture to stick if needed*.
- Place the salmon strips in the almond flour spice mixture & place on the baking tray (**see notes for air fryer method).
- Finish coating & evenly spreading the salmon strips onto the baking sheet (if they don’t all fit on one sheet use another one also lined with parchment paper so they can be spread evenly).
- Place in the oven, baking until the salmon is thoroughly cooked & the coating is slightly browned & crispy. This took mine about 20-30 minutes (baking times will vary depending on size of the strips & your oven so keep an eye on them).
- Remove from oven, let cool & serve to your liking! Store in an air-tight container in the fridge.
*If you are having a hard time getting the coating to stick to your fish, simply cover a bit of oil onto the uncoated fish & that should resolve the issue.
**To prepare these in the air fryer, I like to spray a bit of cooking spray on the basket to prevent sticking. I evenly spread the prepped fish sticks into the air fryer basket. I set mine to 400 degrees F & bake until the salmon is well done, flipping once when they looked slightly browned. Check them regularly as cooking times may vary depending on your oven.
- Category: Dinner, Weeknight
- Method: Oven, Air Fryer
- Cuisine: Seafood
Keywords: salmon, fish sticks, weeknight meal, dinner, dairy free, grain free, gluten free, egg free, almond flour, whole-30, paleo
Need more ideas for healthy weeknight meals?
Share your re-creations over on Instagram!
For everything I am loving now, follow me on Pinterest!