If you’re looking for a meat-less dinner option to throw into your week, you need this plant based lentil taco “meat”! It has an incredible flavour & texture. Add this to your next meat-less Monday menu!
- 4–5 cups prepared lentils (2 cups dry lentils, I used green lentils in this recipe)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 red onion, thinly diced
- 1 + 1/2 cups mushrooms, thinly diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp pink salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Hemp seeds, optional (you can mix in 1/4 cup or sprinkle in as desired)
- 1/4–1/2 cup salsa or tomato sauce, optional (adds moisture if desired)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano, dried
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
Prepping the lentils
- Start by rinsing the lentils really well with cold water. I used a fine mesh sieve for this step & rinsed them for a couple minutes.
- Then you want to immerse them in a large bowl with cold water. Ideally, you want to let your lentils soak in this water overnight, but at least 4-6 hours should also work.
- After they are done soaking, you want to fully get rid of this water & give them another really good, thorough, cold water rinse like you did in the beginning.
- Now you are ready to cook the lentils
Cooking the lentils
- In a large saucepan add 3 cups of water to 2 cups of lentils & cooked them over low-medium heat until they were soft & the water had dissolved.
- I left them uncovered for the first 10 minutes & then covered for the last 10-15 (or until the water was absorbed & they were nice & soft).
- Remove the lentils from the saucepan & set aside in a bowl while you make the rest of the “meat”.
- In the same saucepan, add the avocado oil, diced onion, mushrooms, & garlic.
- Sauté this for a couple of minutes until fragrant.
- Add in the salt, pepper & spices.
- Add in the lentils & a dash or two of water if needed to get the mixture to your desired consistency. Being careful not too add too much as you will get a mushy final mixture.
- Mix everything together & add in hemp seeds &/or salsa for more flavour & moisture, if desired.
- I added this “meat” to cassava flour tortillas with pickled onions, cilantro, jalapeños, diced avocado, & almond feta “cheese.”
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan