A gluten, grain & dairy-free version of a childhood favourite!
If I am being honest I bought a box of gluten-free animal crackers last month. They brought back a lot of childhood memories (I loved animal crackers). But… I looked at the ingredients & they were definitely not the best. Gluten-free doesn’t automatically mean healthy!
So I decided to try & create my own version (I am also trying to create a nut-free version, which I will post once I nailed them)! But these offer that same animal cracker mouth feel & I personally love the nutty flavour of them from the almond flour.
If you don’t have the animal cookie cutters I used, they can easily still be made! Just cut them into squares with a knife, but if you want to make the fun animal shapes like I did you can find the cookie cutters I used HERE!
Ok so I won’t waste any more time & let’s get into the recipe! Make sure yo tag me on Instagram if you make them so I can re-share your creations on my story!
If you want an icing to top on these or make them into “dunk-a-roos” try my sugar-free cream cheese icing HERE or my vegan cream cheese icing HERE!
|Prep Time||10 Minutes|
|Cook Time||5 Minutes|
- 1/4 cup Coconut oil melted
- 2 + 1/2 cups Almond flour
- 3 tbsp Coconut Flour
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp Maple Syrup or sugar-free syrup of choice
- Optional: 1 tbsp granulated sweetener to top on the crackers
- Optional add-in’s to mix up the flavour: 1 tsp almond extract 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 3 tbsp honey (instead of maple syrup), etc.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F & line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Add the melted coconut oil to a mixing bowl with the flours & nutmeg, mixing well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients & form a dough.
- Let the dough sit for 10 minutes, then roll out using two pieces of parchment paper & a rolling pin until your desired thickness. I like about 1/4th of an inch, but if you want thinner crackers you can roll it out thinner. Roll it out less for thicker crackers.
- You can use animal cracker cookie cutters (linked above) or if you don’t have these you can simply cut them into squares & they will be just as delicious.
- TIP: I like to regularly put a bit of coconut oil on the bottom of the cookie cutters (or a knife if cutting the dough) to prevent the dough from sticking to your utensils.
- Carefully place the crackers on the prepared baking tray & bake for about 5 minutes (the longer you bake the crunchier they will get).
- Let cool & store in an air sealed container, enjoy!
Leave a Reply