Leftover turkey or chicken? Need a quick dish to whip up for a holiday party? Look no further, I got you!
I am absolutely obsessed with delicata squash. It is by far my favourite of all the squash family. It’s not always easy to find so this recipe will work with roasted butternut squash, sweet potatoes or even zucchini! Feel free to mix it up & use what you have on hand.
You can use leftover turkey or chicken or ground turkey/chicken. I made this before we actually made our thanksgiving dinner so I used ground chicken I had picked up from the store.
Holiday recipes are my favourite. I love all the herbs used in the cooking (oh & I love all the baking as well)! This recipe not only incorporates these festive flavours but I also gave it a sweet twist with maple syrup, cranberries & nutmeg! Trust me when I saw… you are going to want to make this one!
Make sure to save this to Pinterest or Facebook for later! I also would love to see all of your re-creations over on Instagram! I re-share them all on my stories & it makes my day when I see you enjoying my recipes as much as I do! Make sure to tag me (@laus_healthy_life) so I don’t miss it!
Also to all my Canadians out there, HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
- 3 delicata squash (you can sub baked sweet potato, butternut squash, prepped spaghetti squash, or your veg of choice here)
- 1 lb ground chicken or leftover shredded chicken or turkey; around 3 cups
- 1 red onion diced
- 3 Garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or butter
- 3-4 tbsp Water
- 1/2 tsp Pink salt plus more to taste
- 1-2 tbsp pure maple syrup (plus more to serve if desired) *omit for Whole-30
- 1 apple thinly diced
- 1 + 1/2 cups frozen or fresh cranberries
- 1 tsp ground savoury spice
- 2 tsp ground thyme
- Dash of nutmeg
- 1/4 cup Pecan pieces
- Fresh thyme (to serve)
- *optional melted coconut butter to drizzle
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash the delicata squash, chop of the ends & slice lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds. Tip: I love using an ice cream scoop for this, as it makes it really easy to get them all out quickly.
- Rub the squash in a bit of avocado oil or butter, add a pinch of pink salt, & a tiny drizzle of maple syrup (if desired).
- Place face down on a parchment lined baking pan & place in the oven while you make the filling.
- Continue to check regularly, as it will be done when it can easily be pierced with a fork. Depending on the size & oven baking times will vary. Mine took about 20-25 minutes until it was soft & ready.
- Remove from the oven, flip over & let cool slightly before adding the filling.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add your butter or oil with the onion & garlic for a couple minutes.
- Add the ground chicken if using with the water & allow to cook thoroughly for about 10 minutes.
- Note: if you are using leftover chicken you can mix to heat for a couple minutes only, then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the rest of the ingredients & reduce the heat to low, allowing the mixture to simmer for 5-10 minutes until the cranberries have all popped & softened.
- Scoop the filling into the baked squash, top with fresh thyme sprigs, pecan pieces, & a drizzle of coconut butter & maple syrup if desired, enjoy!
Leave a Reply