All the fluff & fun without the sugar, corn syrup & other unnecessary ingredients!
Typical store-bought marshmallows are full of sugar, corn syrup, dextrose (another name for sugar), tetrasodium pyrophosphate, natural & artificial flavours, & blue 1. However, there is something very nostalgic, especially during the holidays, about adding some fluffy marshmallows to a hot chocolate or warm drink! So I wanted to re-create these yummy, fluffy, fun additions with better-for-you ingredients that anyone can make from home!
How can marshmallows benefit your health?
Not only do these contain zero sugar, as they are sweetened with my favourite natural sweetener that won’t raise your blood sugar, but they also contain beef gelatin. What the heck is that you may be asking? Well, it is a protein that is rich in the amino acid, glycine. Glycine helps nourish & build the mucosal lining of the GI tract. This is why collagen &/or gelatin is often recommended for those with leaky gut or digestive issues. This amino acid may also benefit people with anxiety since it has inhibitory actions in the brain.
Gelatin has also been shown to help improve joint pain, benefit your skin & nails, as well as keep your bones & heart healthy. For more information on gelatin & its benefits, this article lays it all out really well!
|Prep Time||15 Minutes|
- 3 tbsp Beef Gelatin The one I like is linked above
- 1 1/3 cup Water, divided
- 1/8 tsp Pink salt
- 2/3 cup Powdered Lakanto Sweetener You can also use your preferred sweetener of choice, but I have had the best results with monk fruit & erythritol
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- Prepare a square baking dish by lining it with parchment paper & setting aside. In a mixing bowl (or stand mixing bowl if you are using) add the 3 tbsp of gelatin with 2/3 cup of cold water. Let it sit while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- In a small saucepan, bring the other 2/3 cup of water to a boil with the pink salt. Add the sweetener & vanilla & continue to let the mixture boil for a few more minutes. Then remove from heat & quickly add to the mixing bowl with the gelatin & water.
- Using a stand mixer or handheld mixer, quickly start beating everything together. You will continue to do this for about 10-15 minutes until it begins to thicken. It will resemble marshmallow fluff.
- Once it starts to change to a thicker consistency, quickly pour into a prepared pan lined with parchment paper & let sit on the counter or in the fridge while it thickens for a few hours.
- Store them in an air-sealed container in the fridge for up to a week! Add to drinks, recipes, etc.! Get creative & enjoy!
Leave a Reply