Need a yummy snack to meal prep for the week?! I can help with that!
I have posted this recipe on my Instagram before, but I find those recipes can easily get lose & are hard to find after some time passes so I wanted to get them on the blog for you guys!
This recipe was such a hit & I had a lot of people taste test for me to get their approval! I threw some turmeric in there for some anti-inflammatory benefits. The whole recipe is sweetened with 3 dates, making it very low in sugar & adding a ‘caramel’ effect as well!
I used a chocolate plant-based protein powder to keep this vegan & dairy-free. I love the LivWell brand & tested this recipe using this flavour! You can use your favourite protein powder, however, protein powders often vary in taste & texture so I can’t say how it will affect the final product since I have only tested it with this protein powder! Let me know how they turn out if you use an alternative brand.
These make a great snack, on the go breakfast or even dessert topped with coconut ice cream (or whip cream) & maybe some homemade dairy & sugar-free caramel sauce?!
Make sure to tag me on Instagram if you end up making these! It makes my day when I see you making my recipe & love to share your re-creations on my story!
- 1/2 cup Cassava Flour I used the Otto's brand (you can try subbing gluten-free or regular flour but I have only tested this recipe with cassava)
- 1 cup Rolled oats I used certified gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/4 cup Hemp seeds
- 1/4 tsp Pink or Celtic Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 cup Shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp Chia seeds (or ground flax) + 1/4 cup water or milk of choice to make a chia or flax 'egg'
- 1/4 cup Milk of choice I used unsweetened cashew milk
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric *optional
- Pinch Black pepper *only needed if you added the turmeric to make it more bioavailable
- 2/3 cup Vegan protein powder The one I used is linked above (LivWell Chocolate; 2 scoops)
- 3 Dates Pitted & chopped
- 1/4 cup Tahini Or nut/seed butter of choice
- 1/2 cup Coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Dark chocolate chips Make sure to use a dairy-free brand to keep it vegan, I like the Enjoy Life brand. I also like the Lily's brand which are sweetened with stevia but are not dairy-free
- 1/4 cup Sweetener of choice *Optional but if you want a sweeter bar I like coconut sugar in this recipe or to keep the sugar very low I like Golden Lakanto Sweetener
- Preheat your oven to 325 F & line a square baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl add the chia or ground flax with the water or nut milk, mix well & set aside to thicken (about 5-10 minutes) while you add the other ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl well then add the wet to the bowl. Add the chia or flax egg as well after ~5-10 minutes, once it has thickened up. Add the dark chocolate chips last, leaving a few to sprinkle on top once they have baked.
- Press the mixture firmly into the prepared pan & bake for about 25-30 minutes making sure to not overbake if you want them extra soft & chewy.
- Remove from oven (add extra chocolate to the top) & let cool slightly.
- Cut into bars & enjoy warm or chilled! I store them in the fridge. They make a great dessert with some vegan ice cream or coconut whip cream! Enjoy!
Leave a Reply