A classic favourite, healthified!
My boyfriend Jay is obsessed with Wendy’s spicy chicken burgers & he used to make them for us all the time with my gluten-free flour! He recently started making them with a few healthier modifications & uses our air fryer to cook them! And man are they good!
Homemade 3-minute garlic aioli!
This time he made a garlic aioli sauce, using avocado mayo, to go with our crispy sweet potato fries & you guys are going to seriously love this, I am addicted!
So with all that all being said, I am not going to waste any more time, let’s get into the recipe!Print
Wendy’s crispy chicken burgers made grain-free, & they are paleo & keto approved! Paired with these crispy air-fried sweet potato fries & homemade avocado garlic aioli, you are going to want to add this to your dinner menu this week! Make sure to make extras for leftovers the next day!
- 4– 6 chicken breasts
- 2 cups of almond flour
- 1 tsp of each: garlic powder, onion powder, & paprika
- 1/2 tsp of cumin
- 1–2 generous pinches of pink salt & black pepper
- Avocado oil (or olive oil) to coat the chicken
- Buffalo hot sauce
- Havarti cheese slices (Omit to keep dairy-free. Feel free to add a few tbs of nutritional yeast into the almond flour for a dairy-free ‘cheesy’ flavour if you would like)
- 1/2 cup avocado oil mayo
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- A squirt of lime juice
- Prepared or homemade coleslaw (*optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Mix the almond flour & spices in a bowl & set aside. You may not use all of this so you can store the leftovers in a container or plastic bag for the next time you want to make them!
- Cut the chicken breasts in half if you want them to cook a bit faster but you don’t have to do this. Drizzle some of the avocado or olive oil over the chicken & use your hands to evenly coat them with it.
- Then in a separate shallow bowl add some of the almond flour/spice mix. We usually start with 1 cup & add more if needed or save the rest for the next time we make these.
- Coat the chicken well in this mixture & then lay on a baking tray with parchment paper or with a wire rack on top of it (the rack makes them super crispy).
- You can also cook them in an air fryer at 400 F or the chicken setting as well. This makes them nice & crispy.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until they are fully cooked through. Check them regularly as each oven can vary regarding cooking times.
- Remove from the oven & drizzle with the buffalo sauce & Havarti cheese if you’re using it.
- Then pop them back in the oven for a few minutes until the cheese melts.
- Once the cheese has melted, remove them from the oven & let cool slightly.
- We love having these on a lettuce bun topped with coleslaw but you can also eat them with a regular or gluten-free bun as well.
- This chicken is also amazing topped on salads, with roasted veggies, or mixed into zoodles or your favourite pasta!
- For the garlic aioli, simply mix all of the ingredients together into a small bowl & let sit for at least a few minutes to absorb all the flavours. This is even better the next day! We love cooking sweet potato fries in the air fryer with avocado oil, pink salt & pepper, then dipping them into this sauce or even adding it on top of the chicken!