Reducing plastic & waste is so important to focus on in 2020. These gift ideas will help you so that in a fun & stylish way!
Being Eco-Friendly is IN
This is something that I too am consciously working on improving. Having a few staples like the ones in this gift guide is a great place to start! I started transitioning a lot of my plastic products over the last couple years. I am by no means perfect, but my goal when it comes to anything is progress over perfection. There are so many little changes we can make in our day-to-day lives that can have a huge impact if we all do them. Taking your own coffee mug to the coffee shop (this is often more affordable too as many places are reducing the cost when you bring your own cup), using beeswax wrap, taking produce bags to grocery shop, & switching to a diva cup instead of pads or tampons (I know this isn’t for everyone but I made the switch a year ago & never looked back)!
Why should I reduce my plastic/waste?
Plastic pollution is currently (& quickly) becoming one of the biggest threats to our world. Plastic doesn’t break down like other things do. It takes 100’s-1000’s of years for plastic to be broken down. As the population of the world continues to grow, so does plastic pollution. I believe there is a major cognitive dissonance when it comes to our part in environmental conservation. We think “I am one person, I cannot change the world” but the thing is you can. It starts & end with you. We need to start doing our parts as individuals if we want our earth to support us. This may sound dramatic to some but it is so true. Live by an example. Be the example that changes another perspective. The more people that start doing their small part to reduce their waste, the bigger the impact we will see.
I read in this article that every piece of plastic ever created since 1856, still exists today. Except for the small amount of it that has been burned & turned into toxic gases. Plastic should not be burned. Plastic isn’t being broken down & it is a major problem & threat to our environment. I really don’t want to scare you with this information but it needs to be heard & we need to start making small changes to our daily habits. Like I said earlier, strive for progress (i.e. use a reusable water bottle instead of purchasing one regularly). The catalyst to change is us. It starts & ends with us.
Now the fun part: eco-friendly gift guide
- Silicone Straws: I mentioned this one in my “wellness lover gift guide”. I LOVE my silicone straws & use them every single day! Smoothies, water (especially with lemon or apple cider vinegar to protect enamel!) & more. They come with a straw for easy cleaning & there’s enough in the pack to share with your friends & spread the reusable straw love!
- Stasher bags: Again, I also mentioned this one in the “wellness lover gift guide”. But I am all about that re-usable life whenever possible. I am making the transition to a “less wasteful” lifestyle (progress over perfection). These reusable “Ziplock” bags are so easy to pack snacks in for lunches, store leftovers in the fridge, or anything you would use a plastic bag for but can be re-used & is also much more durable. I also found these on Amazon which are cheaper but same idea as the Stasher bag!
- Menstrual cup: I talked above about making the switch to a menstrual cup this past year & it has been a complete game changer. I know this won’t be everyones cup of tea, but if you can make the switch I highly recommend it. I know a lot of friends who want to make the switch so I think gifting it could help them get on the menstrual cup train. Not only do I find it way more convenient than tampons, but I actually find them a lot easier too (once you get the hang of it). When starting out I recommend using a liner or pad just in case. You may think it is inserted properly but come to find out it isn not. Better safe than sorry. But after some practice this will become second nature to you. It has for me!
- Travel coffee mug: like I mentioned above, a re-useable coffee mug not only helps reduce waste, but you can get really cute ones (like this one), and I love them because they keep my coffee hot forever. This is important to me as I love my coffee pretty much piping hot. The Hydro Flask in the picture can be found here. Or a cheaper travel mug here, or here!
5. Reusable produce bags: I am trying to get better at bringing these to the grocery store with me. If I forget them I will just leave the plastic bags & have individual fruit & veg in my cart which is just kind of annoying. These allow you to leave the plastic but also make for an easier grocery shop too! I love these ones that are handmade from a local PEI woman. She has the cutest Etsy shop with lots of products to help you reduce your waste! You can also find produce bags on Amazon or most Farmer’s Markets as well!
6. Spork: okay don’t laugh guys. This is actually a GREAT invention & allows you to forgo the plastic utensil if you are grabbing food on the go. The are super affordable, so gift a couple then you can always have a clean one on hand. I actually don’t have one of these yet but plan to get one ASAP. I also think they are super cute. You can find them here & here! Those are BPA-free plastic ones but you can also get non-plastic ones too, here is one I found!
7. Glass jars: I like these Weck jars. They have been in my Amazon cart for awhile now. I love the non-leaking lids & that they come in many different sizes. This is a great way to store leftover’s like sauces, soups (in the larger ones), or even bulk ingredients. I think they are cute & stylish too! Here are some links to a few different sizes: here, here, & here.
8. Local pottery: I am a huge pottery lover. I think pottery makes a beautiful & special gift. It’s also a way to support local businesses. Pottery is so unique I think people really notice & appreciate that when they receive it as a gift. I have been gushing over a local PEI pottery shop called Village Pottery for so long now. All of their pieces are stunning & you can tell a lot of love goes into each one. You can find their Etsy page here or browse their Instagram here!
9. Lunch box: I have recently been super drawn to this lunch box in particular. But really any cute lunch box I think would make a great gift for the eco-friendly gal. We all have busy lives but packing a lunch saves lots of money & is better for you most of the time, because you are in charge of everything you put in there!
10. Refinished furniture/antiques: my sweet, beautiful & talented friend at My Father’s Daughter turns the old into new again! Just go peek her Instagram page & you will know what I mean! I think giving the gift of something like this is incredibly unique but also special… it is a one of a kind & refinished by hand! If you have a friend or family member looking to redo their place or add something into their home, a unique piece of furniture that has been refinished is a great idea! You are reusing something that would otherwise have been thrown away & making it into something unique & special again. A great way to also prevent waste! I am here for it!
11. Beeswax wrap: swap out the plastic wrap for beeswax wrap! It is basically reusable plastic wrap but without the plastic waste! My mom got these ones for Jay & I last year & they are so handy! Again you can find them in this cute little island owned Etsy shop! She has the cutest designs & you’re supporting a local business… win-win!
That is all I have for today! I hope you enjoyed this gift guide for the eco-friendly gal & are even encouraged to pick up some of these products for yourself! Be sure to leave any other eco-friendly gift ideas in the comments! Happy holidays & have a great weekend!
Need some holiday baking ideas? I got you!
COPYCAT STARBUCKS CRANBERRY BLISS BARS [GLUTEN-FREE + DAIRY-FREE OPTION]
HEALTHIER DOUBLE CHOCOLATE FUDGE PEPPERMINT COOKIES
BLENDER PALEO BANANA APPLE GINGERBREAD LOAF
Check out my other 2019 gift guides here:
GIFT GUIDE 2019: FOR THE WELLNESS LOVER
GIFT GUIDE 2019: FOR THE (HEALTHY-ISH) MAN IN YOUR LIFE