*sugar-free + vegan & peanut-free options*
Chocolate peanut butter lovers… get excited for these!
I used to LOVE Reese’s Peanut Butter cups! They were honestly my favourite thing to get in my Halloween bag after trick-or-treating. I would actually eat so many I would end up feeling so sick! Now that I can appreciate good quality ingredients & understand how to navigate my way through a food label, I know those little cups of deliciousness are no-bueno for me! But not to worry if you love them too & are looking for a healthier way to get your peanut butter/chocolate fix in… I got you covered with these peanut butter chocolate protein bars!
Everything you could want in a snack!
They are sugar-free since I used my favourite all- natural monk fruit/erythritol based sweetener Lakanto ! You can also easily make them vegan by subbing the ghee/butter with coconut or avocado oil & sub your favourite vanilla vegan protein powder into the recipe! These are great to pack as a snack or on the go. I prefer to keep them in the fridge/freezer as they can get a little soft so pack them in a leak-proof dish or in aluminum foil just in case they melt a bit.
They can easily be made peanut-free too!
Sub sunflower butter in place of the peanut butter, for a great nut-free alternative. Sunflower butter tastes very similar to peanut butter in my opinion so it serves as a great sub in a lot of peanut butter based recipes. Really though, you can use whatever nut butter you would prefer to mix up the recipe for your liking! Now let’s get into it!
Now a printing option!
PS: I added a print button to the recipe below so you can easily print it & have a hard copy of the recipe in the kitchen with you while you prepare these!Print
Reese’s Inspired Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Bars
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Yield: 10 1x
Make these peanut free by using sunflower seed butter in place of the peanut butter, or any nut/seed butter of your choice! They can also be made vegan with a few simple subs listed below! Perfect for a quick breakfast or even a mid-day treat! I love having this with my coffee. The protein & healthy fats keep me so full! Such a delicious alternative to a classic favourite!
- 1/2 cup of all natural peanut butter, crunchy or smooth
- 4 tbs butter or ghee (vegan* sub coconut oil or avocado oil)
- 1/2 cup powdered Lakanto sweetener (can sub any powdered or granulated sweetener of choice here)
- 1/4 cup Bulletproof Brain Octane oil (or avocado or coconut oil)
- 2/3 cup vanilla protein powder of choice (I used Ancient Nutrition’s Keto Vanilla protein. For a vegan option simply use your favourite vegan vanilla protein. I love LivWell Nutrition’s Vanilla one)
- 2 & 1/3 cups of gluten-free brown rice crispy cereal
- Pinch of pink salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate (I used Lindt’s 90% dark. I also love Lily’s sugar-free chocolate chips. For vegan make sure to use a dairy-free chocolate.)
- 1 tbs all natural peanut butter, crunchy or creamy
- Melt the peanut butter & butter over low heat for a few seconds until it has melted together.
- Remove from heat & add the rest of the ingredients, except the chocolate & 1 tbs of peanut butter.
- Once it has been mixed thoroughly, place in a parchment paper lined baking dish & press down firmly with your spatula.
- Pop into the freezer while you melt the chocolate topping.
- Simply add the chocolate & 1 tbs of peanut butter to a small pan over low heat or melt for 30 seconds in the microwave.
- Once it has started to melt remove from the heat & continue to mix until the rest of the chocolate has melted.
- Take your peanut butter rice crispy layer from the freezer & carefully pour the chocolate topping over it, distributing the chocolate evenly with your spatula.
- Put it back in the freezer for 45-60 minutes or until fully hardened then remove, cut into bars or squares & enjoy!
- These are best stored in the fridge or freezer & removed a few minutes before eating.
Leave a Reply