My mom used to these morning glory bran muffins for us as kids & I loved them with a nice dollop of butter! Unfortunately, bran isn’t gluten-free, & since having been gluten-free for 6 years now, I wanted to set out & make my own gluten-free version of this classic recipe.
Gluten-Free Fibre Sources
A lot of great sources of fibre come from gluten-containing products. Since I am gluten-free I have to find gluten-free ways to get my fibre in. These doughnuts are a great source of just that. We are using flax-meal, carrots, apple, pecans, & unsweetened shredded coconut, all of which contain fibre!
Why is fibre so important?
Well, fibre helps keep you full & satisfied. It helps with bowel movements & keeping things regular (if you know what I mean). I love getting adequate fibre into my day because it helps me feel my best. I tend to have a big appetite & I notice if I don’t get enough fibre to keep me full, I can’t seem to get full. So starting my day with something that is a good source of fibre is key for me to feeling satiated & energized all day long!
Doughnuts or muffins
I love using my silicon doughnut pan for these doughnuts as I find it the easiest to get them out of. The one I use is here. Don’t have a doughnut pan? No problem! You can make these into muffins. Baking time will slightly vary & the muffins will need to bake for around 30 minutes, compared to about 22 minutes for doughnuts.
What you need for the recipe:
- Pink Salt
- Gluten-free flour
- Coconut sugar
- Coconut oil
- Baking Soda
Power up with protein
Feel free to add 1/2 cup collagen peptides for an added protein punch. I love adding collagen into my sweets & treats to power them up with a bit more protein. Another macronutrient that can help keep you full & fuelled throughout the day!
Let me know what you think!
If you like this (or any of my recipes) I would LOVE if you could rate & review the recipe below! Simply scroll down & you can enter your comments/rate the recipe! I love hearing from you & value your feedback SO MUCH! Hope you love the recipe!Print
Start your day off right with these nutritious, fibre packed morning glory doughnuts (or muffins)! They are packed with nourishing good for you ingredients, & are gluten, dairy, & refined sugar free!
- 1/2 cup apple, grated (about 1 medium apple)
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp pink salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 1 cup Gluten free flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill Baking Flour), 165 grams
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup raisins or chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnut pieces
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup collagen optional*
- Preheat the over to 350 degrees F. Grease a doughnut pan. I use a silicon one. Or line a muffin pan & set aside.
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl, in the order listed above.
- Scoop the batter into your prepared pan & bake for about 22 minutes as doughnuts & 30 minutes for muffins.
- Check regularly & when a toothpick comes out mostly clean & the top bounces back they should be done.
- Let cool in the pan, remove & enjoy with nut butter, butter or coconut oil!